Current Position:
   Home>> About the University
History in Brief
Publish date£º2012-10-05    Browsing times£º  

¡¡¡¡¡¡The history of BJFU can be dated back to 1902. Originally known as the Agricultural Department of the Imperial University of Peking (Jingshi Daxuetang, predecessor of Peking University), its academic force was greatly strengthened and expanded through the successive acquisition of the agriculture departments of Tsinghua Xuetang (Tsing Hua Imperial College, predecessor of Tsinghua University), Zhili Agricultural School, the Catholic University of Peking as well as the North China University. During the nationwide restructuring of China¡¯s higher education institutes in 1952, the Forestry Departments of Beijing Agricultural University and that of Hebei Agricultural Institute were combined to set up an independent Beijing Forestry College, one of the earliest higher education institutes in the country that specialized in forestry studies. In 1956, the Landscape Architecture Department of Beijing Agricultural University and the Architecture Department of Tsinghua University were merged into Beijing Forestry College.

 

1.Emblem plate of the Imperial University of Peking
2.Emblem plate of the Agriculture College of the Imperial University of Peking
3.Former site of the Imperial University of Peking

       

4.Entrance to the Beijing National Agriculture Specialized College (1914)         
5.Entrance to the Agricultural College of Peking National University (1929)

 

6.Garden of the Agricultural College, Peking National University (1929)
7.The earliest students graduated from the Forestry Training School (1952)

Early Years (1952-1968)

During the nationwide restructuring of China¡¯s higher education in 1952, the MOE and MOF (the predecessor of current SFA) jointly made the decision that the Forestry Departments of Beijing Agricultural University and that of Hebei Agricultural Institute would be combined to set up an independent Beijing Forestry College (BFC). The College was temporarily located within the Dajue Temple at the foot of the West Hills in Beijing and was formally moved in the following year to its permanent site at Xiaozhuang, Haidian District. In 1956, the Landscape Architecture Department of Beijing Agricultural University and the Architecture Department of Tsinghua University were merged into BFC. Then in 1960, the College was designated as a key national university.

 

 

1.Certificate signed by Chairman Mao Zedong to appoint Mr. Li Xiangfu as the first Principal of Beijing Forestry College
2.The temporary site of BFC --- Dajue Temple at the foot of the West Hills, Beijing, 1952

3.The permanent site of BFC at Xiaozhuang, Haidian, 1953

4.Principal Li Xiangfu with Soviet Union experts

5.The earliest graduates of BFC

A Decade of Migration (1969-1979)

¡¡¡¡¡¡In 1969, in the turmoil years of the Cultural Revolution, Beijing Forestry College was dispatched on a bumpy journey of migration across Yunnan province in China¡¯s southwest, with the faculty and students at first scattering across scores of forest plantations that belonged to eight different forestry bureaus. It was not until the next year that the faculty and students were reassembled in Lijiang, renamed as Lijiang Forestry College. The College was moved in 1971 to Xiaguan, Dali, and renamed again as Yunnan Forestry College, which was moved two years later to Qiumuyuan in the suburbs of Kunming. It was during this period that the Forestry Department of Yunnan Agricultural University was merged into BJFU.

  

1.The site of Yunnan Forestry College
2.Classrooms on the campus of Qiumuyuan

 

3.College leaders at Yunnan Forestry College
4.Moving around in Yunnan

Back to Beijing (1979-1992)

¡¡¡¡¡¡The return of BFC to Beijing in 1979 marked another major milestone for BJFU. Thanks to the tireless efforts of the faculty and students, it was quickly rejuvenated out of the ruins of its former campus and embarked on a journey of full restoration and steady expansion. The steady growth in student numbers, together with evidently enhanced capacities, earned BFC in 1981 a place among the first group of higher education institutes that were entitled to confer master¡¯s and doctorate degrees. BFC was formally renamed as BJFU in 1985, followed by the founding of the School of Adult Education in 1991. By the end of 1992, the University had firmly established its nationwide reputation as a key multi-disciplinary university that boasts a solid base not only in forest biology, competitive advantages in forest resources and environmental sciences, but also in promising disciplines of sciences, engineering, liberal arts, and economics and management.

 

1.Temporary classrooms used when BFC returned to Beijing
2.Wang Youqin, former CPC Secretary of BFC, on field inspection

 

3.Library built after BFC was restored in Beijing
4.Foundation-laying ceremony for the Main Building, 1990

Booming Years (1993-2012)

¡¡¡¡¡¡A brand-new chapter was opened in 1992 to put the University on a fast track of boosting development. It seized the opportunity brought about by China¡¯s national strategy to promote ecological civilization and took effective measures to further polish its competitive edges. It has since been listed among China¡¯s prestigious universities that are entitled to favorable financial supports from the country¡¯s educational initiatives, such as the Higher Education Reinvigoration Project 211 (1996), the Innovation Platform for Prioritized Academic Disciplines (2008), and the League of Hi-tech & Science for Universities in Beijing (2011). All these achievements make up major milestones in its development and has laid down a firm foundation for BJFU to develop itself into an internationally-recognized, competitive, research-oriented university with distinctive academic features.

 

1.Agreement signing ceremony between the MOE and the SFA (2nd round) for joint supports to BJFU


 

2.Agreement signing ceremonies for policy-industry-academia integration

3.Founding ceremony of the League of Hi-tech & Science for Universities in Beijing, initiated by BJFU and other universities (2011)